This project uses Ogre3D, Bullet physics engine, enet, and vrpn to make a mult-player virtual reality game. One player is a diver who walks through an underwater world searching for a lost treasure. The other is a sonar operator who directs the diver towards the treasure. I make use of a Virtual Research V6 head-mounted display and a Polhemus Fastrak to immerse the diver in the virtual world. With added underwater sounds, and radios linking the diver and operator, the effect is very convincing.
Most of the media in this projet I found from various places on the internet, though I did make the treasure entity and the terrain heightmap.
- Diver moves by pointing a tracked wiimote in the direction he/she wants to walk in and pulling the trigger
- The tracked WiiMote is shown in game as a working flashlight
- Motion of the diver is controlled by bullet, allowing for realistic movement and avoiding snags common in First Person games
- Sonar operator is shown a real-time updated overhead view of the game area
- A passive viewing program is provided for demonstrations
Some future ideas for this project include adding more items in the world, such as fish, rocks, coral, a whale, etc. and adding more accurate sound.
- Download the Code Here
- Edit the code, remove all reverences to cf2.cs.uga.edu and replace them with your own server (sorry)
- Compile the solution
- Unzip the server relay on your server and run it (needs linux)
- Connect a wiimote to your computer and run WiiMP
- Turn on your fastrak and run Loser
- Run Project2.exe
- Stretch the window to cover both of your screens and connect up your HMD
- Run Project2SonarMap.exe on the controller's computer
- Optionally run the Project2Viewer.exe on a viewing computer (for audience)
- Have the controller leave the room with a walkie-talkie, attach a walkie talkie to the diver and have fun!
- To move, point the wiimote in the direction you want and hold down the trigger
- Press the A button to turn on/off the flashlight
- When you are very close to the treasure, press and hold the down direction on the wiimote's arrow pad, then point the flashlight at the treasure to pick it up
- Press the Home button to restart the game